Friday, March 5, 2010

Banking sucks

Well, the title says it all. I hate banks and their utterly inefficient procedures. While I was packing up B's room for her big move across the hall, I discovered her little piggy bank, stuffed with cashola. She had some coin rolls I had tossed her way ages ago, as well as a $50 bill. I figured it was time to deposit the cash in her RESP we set up when she was born. Knowing that I can't make the transaction online (like deposit it in my account and then transfer it over), I decided to make a trip to the bank myself.

I have been very fortunate to have to visit bank tellers very few times in my financial life. My mother-in-law was a bank manager until her retirement a year ago, and since we always operated under her branch (still do!), any paperwork we had to complete, MIL just brought home for us. Our financial advisors were her friends and coworkers, so it was easy to set up appointments and it never seemed like a chore to go to her office for a visit. I never stood in line and I never dealt with tellers. And, to be honest, I don't handle much of the financial junk myself (Hubby is an accountant and much more in tune to that sort of thing. I rely on his expertise. Sad, but true.) I was very spoiled. I got used to that, and I probably should not have.

Anyhoo, that all ended last year, but since our new financial representative is still one of MIL's good friends (whom Hubby has known since he was a child), we still don't have a problem getting our banking done. However, little things like making RESP deposits is something I either have to plan with our rep in advance or go into the bank myself to handle. I figured, I'm on mat leave--I got the time. Why not go in myself?

So, in I went yesterday. Kinda raced in, I must admit, to beat the woman who pulled into the spot next to me. I succeeded. (Fistpump! Yeah me!) I got in the line ahead of her and there were only three bluehairs in front of me. I could handle that.

Realized that the last time I stood in a bank line at this branch was probably shortly after our wedding when Hubby and I went in to deposit all those generous cheques our family and friends had gifted us with. That means it's been well over five years.

And standing in line when your sciatica is acting up is not that much fun--especially, when one of the tellers (and there were only two on hand, notch) yanks on her monitor and completely disconnects it from all the cables attached to the wall and computer. We all waited patiently as she tried--valiantly, I must admit--to reattach the various wires. Clearly, not a techno-saav, she called in her bank manager. Between the two of them and the old guy they were serving, they managed to get everything sorted out and I was finally called up to the next wicket.

I whipped my huge ziploc bag out of my purse (keep in mind, I had like $150 in coin rolls, people! Money's money, right?) and said that I would like to make a deposit into my daughter's RESP account. The teller took my client card, started tapping away and then said. "Pardon?"

I explained again what I wanted to do and she said. "Oh no! If it's for an RESP, you'll have to make an appointment with a banker. I can see if there is one available this afternoon."

I had plans that afternoon (which involved copious amounts of shopping and picking B up from daycare. No time for bankers.), but arranged for an appointment this morning. I was pretty annoyed. Why can't I just make a deposit right then and there? I never had to do that with MIL. We would just tell her how much to put in the RESP and she'd do it for us. I'm telling you, I was spoiled.

Anyways, had to cancel the appointment this morning as a result of a terrible sleep and a ginormous backache that did not allow for me to sit properly. Been playing phone tag with the banker all day in order to reschedule, but really just wondering if I should wait until my doctor appointments next week, when I will be in town of the old branch. Hubby will be home that day and we could arrange something with our advisor. Would be so much easier than having some new guy try selling me financial services I don't need when all I want to do is deposit some bleedin' coins. Geez.

What do you think, Hub?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...