Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A week full of paperwork

This afternoon will be Brooke's first off-treatment appointment, so I'm kinda anxious to get it over with. I'm hoping for good news. I don't anticipate any bad, as the CT scans all came back clear--but you never know. I've been lulled into optimism before, only to be told something different a week later. This has made me cautious, of course.

I'm also hoping we receive a date for Brooke's surgery to remove her port. Won't seem like the treatment is officially done until that thing is out of her. Physically, it doesn't seem to bother her, but knowing that a surgery (even if it is a day surgery) still looms in the future makes things feel 'incomplete' (for lack of a better word), I suppose. I know B will still be on antibiotics until June, but hopefully, the port won't have to stay in until then, as well. Will find out more, today.

So, lots of paperwork for Canadian Cancer Society and POGO this morning. Boy, do I love paperwork. Blech! Seems like filling out countless pages of forms is all I have been doing for the past week.

Ages ago, our interlink nurse had told us that Brooke would be eligible for a wish when she turned three years old. We thought nothing of it at the time, but a few weeks ago, she suggested that I apply for Starlight's Great Escapes program (a program that offers families of seriously ill children neat experiences and fun activities--like Sens tickets, magic shows, group picnics, etc.). She again mentioned applying to Make-a-Wish Foundation of Canada or Children's Wish Foundation for a wish for Brooke.

I filled out the forms for Starlight's program at the hospital, but hesitated when it came to Make-a-Wish. I'm not certain how comfortable I am with an organization giving my daughter something so...significant. Seems too big. Seems too greedy. Seems like there are others out there who need wish-granting more.

Finally, after visiting the Make-a-Wish Foundation of Canada website and reading some of the amazing wish stories and shedding too many tears for kids who have so undeservedly suffered and parents' hearts that have been dragged through the mud, I decided my kid deserved a wish. She's been through hell these past eight months and could certainly do with a little magic in her life! So, I applied for a wish for Brooke.

I was under the impression that this great organization only grant wishes for terminal or chronically ill children and since Brooke is neither, I figured nothing would really come of it, but it wouldn't hurt to try. But, a Make-a-Wish rep called me back that day to confirm the referral and tell me the process had begun. The woman also told me that there were lots of children who wanted wishes, so I figured this was a polite way of saying that B would be added to a list, but as she is not terminal or chronic, she's hardly high priority. Seems fair and is fine by me.

Then, last week, I was surprised to find a large package from Make-a-Wish with numerous forms to fill out. Looks like most of them are travel-based forms, assuming that the wish would be a trip. (Of course, Brooke's primary wish is to meet Ariel, the Little Mermaid, and the other Disney princesses--so yeah, they assume correctly--a travel wish.) But, they also ask the wish child to provide two additional (non-travel) wishes, should the travel one not be possible. We'll see what comes of all this. Could just be standard-procedure paperwork.

So, we've been busy filling out all of these forms in order to get the application back into the mail this week. And, then, a day later, I received Brooke's school registration package (open house is this Thursday--ohmigawd--I can't believe I'm registering my baby for school! Wasn't she just 2, like, yesterday?!?). More forms. Yeah.

Then, on the weekend, I decided to renew Brooke's passport (since it expires in a few weeks time) and to get Avie one. No idea if we'll need passports for the girls anytime soon (maybe a weekend getaway to Lake George this summer?), but better safe than sorry. And, frankly, since I was already knee-deep in forms, why not get it over with, right?

Every night this past week has seen me sitting at my desk, printing (in block letters and in black or dark blue ink, of course)--first name, last name, additional legal names, address, birthdate, ''I do solemnly swear''....very tedious work, as you can imagine.

I'm kinda hoping that there will be no new forms to fill out at the hospital this afternoon, but, just in case, I'm bringing my pen.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, do I hear you on the paperwork...last year C&E started school (pre-k and kindergarten) and it felt like the pile was NEVERENDING, every time I turned something new in, more showed up!

    I totally, one hundred percent feel Brooke deserves that wish and I'm so glad you decided to go for it. :) If she gets to go to Disney to see her princesses, you won't regret it--that's C&E's favorite part of going to Disney (we actually live ten minutes away) every time, and it's always awesome to see them get so excited. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...