Monday, April 11, 2011

Toddlerhood begins

Craziness has ensued and with it an endless list of reasons for which I have not had the opportunity to blog lately. In spite of a time-crunch and two sick little girls (no worries--just nasty colds that both of them woke up with this morning), I cannot let today pass without a mention of how important it is, even as unremarkable a day as it has been.

Today, at 11:20 a.m. this morning, while the rain was dwindling and she was busy napping off some Tylenol, our sweet little Avie turned one year old. She now joins the ranks of toddlers everywhere--but to us, she is still our sweet little baby girl.

It was a very unexciting birthday, unfortunately. I returned to work this morning (ugh!) after 13 months of maternity leave and the girls started the week with the aforementioned colds. Luckily, my MIL has offered to babysit for the summer, so I didn't have to leave the girls at daycare today--or, take off my first day back, as would have been likely. But, because of a restless night of crying children, I also started the day off exhausted--and, did I mention it was raining? This morning certainly wasn't the way I wanted to embark on this next phase in our lives.

And, because Avie was so exhausted and oozing with snot this evening, it was a eucalyptus bath, some BabyRub and to bed with her shortly after we returned from work. No cake, no party hat, no pressies. I think Brooke would have been thoroughly disappointed with our cancelled party plans tonight had she not been feeling crappy, too. It's alright--we'll still have her little party. We'll celebrate in style on Saturday with family and friends and goodies galore.

Regardless of how her actual birthday day turned out, we are still amazed at how eventful this first year has been. We can't believe she is just turning one--it seems like she has been part of our family since time began and it's hard to imagine our lives before her. Wouldn't be the same without her silly smiles, kooky hand gestures and raspy growling voice.

We've delighted in watching you become the little person you are today, Aviecakes. We've loved watching you discover your place in the world and can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. (Just don't let it be your first step--Mommy's gotta be at the office by 8am!) May you have many, many more birthdays filled with all the love and laughter you bring to our lives every day.

Love you forever and always, Mommy, Daddy and Big Sis Brookie. (And Fergus and Dealer, too!) oxoxoxo

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday baby Avery!

    On an unrelated note, I see that you are having the same maddening line break issue that I am. Grrr. I can't stand it.

    I actually manually put in the code to make the line breaks appear on my latest post because I am THAT anally retentive. It appears you are not. Be thankful for that! It took me forever to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, happy birthday, Miss Avie, and happy birthing day to YOU, mama! We had an unexpectedly uneventful first birthday here, too...someday, maybe someday, I'll find time to blog about it...

    Enjoy her party, I hope everyone's feeling better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Chubbs. To be honest, Chubbs--I hadn't even bothered to check how the post looked the other night (or felt creative enough to add a photo!). I generally do, as giant blocks of text bothers me to no end, but this week has been hellish at best. Ugh. Now, I'll have to go and fix it.

    Thanks for the comments, Brown Eyed Mama--I hear you about posting lately. Haven't got the juice for it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...