Friday, May 20, 2011

I am.

Editor's note: It has been nearly a month since my fingers have skipped along this keyboard for anything more than a quick e-mail reply to my grandmother (who has become quite adept at her iPad-use--in fact, some might call it an iPad addiction!) or to look up directions on Google Maps. For that, I apologize. Rest assured more posts coming soon. In the meantime, I humbly offer up an
'I am.'

Every year, I write one of these little stream-of-me lists, but I never bother to scrap or blog them, even though I love the idea that one day, these lists will help my daughters to know me better. Call it shyness. Call it a desire for undue attention. Call it what you will, but it's high time I put myself out there.


And, because I am so rarely seen on the other end of the lens, I've included a few. Avert your gaze as necessary. ;)



I am.


I am a wife, a mother, a sister, a daughter, a friend, a neighbour, a stranger on a bus. I am a writer and a reader. A photographer and an artist. I am a Libra, a blogger, a hum drum housewife. A ginger and proud of it. I am a girl. I am a woman. I am the man on the street. I am English, French, Irish, Scottish, Swiss and everything in between. I am a terrible musician with wonderful taste. I am a guffawing rube with the heart of a poet. I am addicted to greasy pizza, blue jeans, flip flops, stationery and really inky pens. I am Ottawan. I am a GLEEk and a Gabaldonite. I am creative. I am quiet. I am sarcastic. I am not as green as I'd like to be. I am living my life through the lens of a camera and keystrokes on a computer screen. I don’t like coffee, but I love coffee shops. I like the weight of my BlackBerry, but I don’t know how to use it. I am good at remembering names and faces. I am terrible with numbers. I am early—and yet I am out of time. I don’t see the point of Twitter. I am a volunteer and an advocate. I am afraid of getting old. I avoid conflict. I like martinis and manicures and never treat myself to either. I like cuddling on the couch and baking in the kitchen. I am practical, I am predictable, I am logical to a T. I chase rainbows and unicorns and look at life through a half-filled glass. I am generous. I am kind. I am not always the role model I want to be. I am a good student, a good employee, a good girl. A traveller, a home body, a person who sees herself in everyone. I am a scrapbooker. I am a list-maker. A party planner. I buy high-heeled shoes I never wear. I have 10 Christmas trees. I like to decorate for every holiday and celebrate every milestone. I am happiest when surrounded by bubble wands and baby dolls, puzzle pieces and Barbie shoes. I am a pathetic farmer, but a decent gardener. I raise chickens and collect eggs. I am a carefree spirit. I am a worry wart. I am a planner without a plan. I cannot multitask, but I am good with details. I am a font of trivial knowledge. I am a connection between people. I am simple. I am complicated. I am a face in a crowd. I am a work of art. A big kid, a couch potato, a 30-something who has started to notice laugh lines in the mirror. I am past my expiration date, but I have not yet begun. I am a klutz with two left feet. I have freckles and burn like a lobster. I am a fan of vintage clothes, Michael Bublé, graphic art and magazine glossies. I am happy. I am vulnerable. I am confused. I am intuitive and introverted and a social butterfly. I am boring in my fashion choices but have very eclectic taste. I am rural and urban in the same sentence. I am arm charm and I am in love. I am the change I want to see and yet I am so incredibly lazy. I am the eye behind the camera, not the star of the book. I am moving on, moving away. I am freaked out by laser eye surgery and content to do without. I wonder, I daydream, I forget to take out the recycling. I am left wishing and hoping and making excuses. I am an Etsy fiend, a Flickr friend, a Facebook acquaintance. I am colourful. I am challenging. I want more, but want to do less. I am cheerful. I am laughter. I am passion. I am a believer. I am a dreamer. I am inspired. I am uplifting. I am falliable. I am honest. I am an unfinished story.

I am you.

2 comments:

  1. woah! amazing! most of those things I know to be true and hope to know more as we move along through life in this friendship/family-hood we share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps- loving the new blog style, very Robin's Blue ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...