Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Three chemos in

Three treatments in and B is doing great. Her blood counts are high (higher even than the average chemo-free kid) and her energy level is top notch. Another treatment down and still no puke, no lethargy, no complaining. The kid amazes me.

The whole process has been rather anti-climactic. We were shocked by the cancer discovery and overwhelmed by the immediate surgery, but now we have to....hurry up and wait until she is ill. I'm kinda having a hard time wrapping my head around it, and clearly so is B.

''Why am I getting medication, Mommy? I don't hurt and I'm not sick anymore.''

I try to explain that there is something in her belly that could make her sick and she needs to take the medication to keep her healthy. She takes it easily enough--because she likes the taste--but I am left wondering how long this compliance of hers will last.

In other news, the next treatment (a combination of vincristine and doxurubicin (sp?)) will be the big one, so the nurses expect that she will start to feel the effects of the chemo at Week 4. One nurse said that if we had any specific plans for this summer, this weekend is the weekend to get 'em done. I'm wondering how to spend the time. Zoo? Camping? Theme park?

Another nurse also suggested cutting B's hair short prior to the next dose because she may start losing it in large chunks afterwards, which might be unsettling for us to witness. I'll say. Nothing says 'sick child' like a bald one. I think this whole thing will become all the more real to me when--and if--she loses her hair.

Last night, we also met with our Interlink nurse. She is our connection to all programs within the cancer community. Who knew there were so many?

The services offered by various organizations, including Candlelighters, the Canadian Cancer Society, Make-a-Wish Foundation and the Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario (POGO), run the gambit of offering support groups for parents, patients and siblings to financial assistance (for food allowances, babysitting expenses, parking, travel costs) to residential summertime camps (for the whole family, not just the cancer patient). Truly wonderful programs, several of which we will no doubt take advantage. After all, it seems that once you're a cancer patient, you're always a cancer patient (or at the very least, a member of the cancer community!).....

Had to put a pause on the post there for a second. Expecting my mother and grandmother to visit and thought they were already at the door, but opened it to two nice, old Jehovah witnesses instead. They seem surprised that I answered, stating that so many people were out ''shopping or working.'' More likely, my neighbours peeped outside the window and when they saw the ladies, bibles in hand, climbing out of their station wagon, wisely decided to hide from view.

Anyways, I hate to be rude, so I pleasantly explained to them that yes, I believe in God, and no, I did not know him on a first-name basis as we had never had the good fortune to meet in person, and finally that I was quite happy as a lapsed Catholic. Sadly, that did not sway them from giving me their booklets. Their literature was wasted on me and has ended up in the recycling bin. So be it. Amen.

So, now with my first conversion of the day averted, I'll start the grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch. Thanks for tuning in, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...