Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A break in the clouds

B took an early nap today, so Avie and I took the oppurtunity between downpours to walk to the garden to see if we could finally find something with which to fill our veggie baskets. (Yes, ever-hopeful-me brought two baskets, just in case.) We were late in planting much of our garden this year what with the whole hospital spiel, so we haven't seen much harvest yet. Well, the July weather has certainly paid off.

The tomatoes are so plentiful that the cages have fallen over, although few of them are red as of yet. The corn silks have changed to a lovely mocha colour, which makes me think that they will be ready soon. The zucchinis were huge, so I plucked two off to add to my basket. Grilled zucchini on the bbq may be in order!

I also picked a peck of peppers. Our peppers have never done well in the past. This year, we not only have a lot of green peppers, but the ones I selected this afternoon are easily the size of a Nerf football or the length of my hand from fingertip to wrist.

We wandered over to the radish and carrot patch and found many of the bitter little cherries peeping out of the moist, fragrant soil. Yum.

The whole garden needs some serious weeding. I tried to clear out the sunflowers and the smaller veggies, but it was difficult with Avie in the Bjorn. Too bad, too. All this rain loosens the soil and makes it easy to yank out the bigger weeds. I considered going back now that Avie has gone down for a nap, but the skies have just turned black and another summer storm is rolling in. Hope I don't lose my Internet connection again....

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...