Friday, April 9, 2010

T minus 20 hours

So, I am now at 40 weeks + 1 day and still no baby. It was decided at my weekly doctor's appointment on Wednesday that if I did not go into labour by the weekend, that I would be scheduled for an induction on Saturday morning (confirming what a few of my medical team have told me regarding induction around 40 weeks for moms with gestational diabetes). Right now, it's Friday, 1:00 p.m. and I'm feeling no different than any other day. Guess it looks like I will be induced tomorrow. One way or the other, we should have a newborn baby by week's end.

As much as I realize that inductions usually make the whole labour thing last longer (and I was really aiming for a nice, short delivery this time--oh well), I am happy and relieved to know that I will meet my daughter sometime this weekend. Plus, the likelihood of an induction means that I can prepare for my stint in the hospital in advance. Hubby can finish work on a Friday, knowing full well that he will not be in on Monday. I can let my daycare worker know in advance that B will not be in early next week. I can do laundry, clean house, charge batteries and pack bags. I can make plans.

And--just as it was with B--once this news was processed by Hubby, he suddenly got very excited about the baby's arrival. That is not to say that he wasn't thrilled beforehand, but just that there wasn't much he could do throughout the pregnancy (besides paint the nursery and assemble furniture!). With an actual timeline and list of things to do in hand, I think he feels much better prepared and involved in the process. He's always been good at working out logistics, so making plans is right up his alley. He's getting excited just thinking about the little person we are all about to meet--will she be as easy a baby as B was? Who will she look more like? Will she be well over our guestimated 9 pounds? Will she projectile puke all over him like B did on her first day at home? (I am sooooo glad that I have the actual action shots of that mess!)

That said, there will be no new postings for the next few days. When I do post again, I should have some new photos and stories to share of our brand new bébé. Can't wait! Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. What? No intentions to live-blog your way through birth? The Hubster can probably do all that via Blackberry. I can see it now:

    8.25 a.m. --- Drugs kicking in.

    9.10 a.m. --- She is contracting.

    9.30 a.m. --- She just called me a jerk and an idiot. She is mean while giving birth.

    9.40 a.m. --- She is crying profusely as she apologies for calling me a jerk and an idiot.

    10 a.m. --- She calls me an 'effin jerk this time, because my response to her apology wasn't sensitive enough.

    Noon -- I SEE A HEAD!!!!

    12.10 -- Now I'm officically a jerk and an idiot for being on the Blackberry while the baby's head was crowning.

    12.28 p.m. --- She is here! And all name-calling has ceased. I am loved again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I felt no different and what do you know, my water broke. When they told us that we were going to have a baby within the next couple of days, that's when reality hit - for both of us. We just looked at each other and couldn't believe we were soon going to be parents!!

    Wishing you the best of luck, a safe delivery and a healthy baby girl!! Can't wait to find out what name you chose!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I am standing in the kitchen and out of the blue Dylie Dog comes up to me and says"When i see Antie robin's baby I am going to say that is your baby, and logan is mommy's baby, and she is cute!" and he chuckles to himself, and leaves me to continue making there lunch!
    We are all so exited to meet her this weekend at some point...I wish you the best of luck, and we love you so much beautiful sister...
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...